Signs And Dangers Of Black Mold

Whether you’re a seasoned homeowner, a new homeowner, or even a renter, you’ve heard of mold. It’s easy to overwrite the danger of mold, grouping it into a generic problem that’s rare and probably won’t happen to your home. After all, you keep a tidy house, right? Think again. There are many dangers of black mold.

Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys, can occur practically anywhere both in and outside of the house. This mold can be highly toxic and lead to increased property damage that could necessitate costly repairs, or even having to move. It’s crucial for you and your family’s safety that you know how to spot the mold and are aware of the dangers.

Spotting Mold

Black mold is pretty easy to identify but can be easy to overlook depending on where it is and the amount of mold present. You’ll notice small black or gray dots appearing on the wall. The mold can also be a blue color and in rare cases even orange, so just be aware of odd discolorations on your walls. This mold can appear on both exterior and interior walls. The mold usually grows as a result of water damage and warm, moist conditions. If you having leaking pipes or indoor flooding, make sure to take preventative measures immediately.  This mold may start out very small, just a couple of dots here and there, but it will grow. The spread of this mold is something you chiefly want to avoid because this will make it harder to get rid of. Exposure to this mold also very dangerous for you and your family.


Black mold isn’t just an eyesore. It may damage walls but this is just one aspect of the destructive capabilities of the mold. For one thing, mold can weaken and destroy foundations, which can decrease the overall all safety of sections of your house, if not the whole house. This is what people dealing with mold are primarily concerned with, but the mold can directly cause health problems too.

This mold is essentially a fungus that releases toxins in the air. In smaller amounts, these fumes might not be noticeable, but when they are this is especially concerning. Black mold has been linked to causing several health problems such as intense allergy and asthma reactions, eye irritation, headaches, and more. In extreme cases, the mold can even cause nausea, vomiting, and even bleeding lungs.

Prolonged exposure to the poisonous mold can result in chronic health problems, particularly for the elderly or children who have weaker immune systems. Don’t take any risks. If you discover mold, seek professional help in removing it immediately. Acting quickly and efficiently will help you avoid extraneous health and repair expenses. Of course, preventing mold in the first place would be ideal.   


Be on the lookout for standing moisture around your house. If you see water accumulating in certain areas, dry it and try to prevent wetness in the future. You’ll also want to make sure there aren’t any on-going leaks in and around the home. If flooding or leaks have been problematic in the past, keep an eye on these areas for water damage, especially during storms when these conditions can reoccur.

Keeping your house clean will also prevent mold and mildew from forming. For the exterior walls, soft washing is the best way to clear any debris and grime that could generate mold. For more info on how soft washing can clean and protect your home, please contact us. At Peak Powerwash, our goal is to help ensure your house is clean and safe!



Our home power washing and home pressure washing service area includes, but is not limited to: Archdale, Clemmons, Eden, Elon, Graham, Greensboro, High Point, Jamestown, King, Kernersville, Lewisville, Madison, Mayoden, Oak Ridge, Reidsville, Summerfield, Stokesdale, Thomasville, Trinity, Walkertown, Winstom Salem, North Carolina