Some homeowners prefer gas appliances over electric ones. Gas appliances cost less to operate, are energy efficient, have more power and are easier to use. They offer many benefits, but you must keep safety in mind when using gas appliances. They pose a higher risk of injury when used improperly. Here’s how to use gas appliances safely.
Know the Danger Signs
Get familiar with the warning signs of your gas appliance and what to do in case of emergency.
One of these is the presence of a yellow flame, instead of a blue one, on the gas range. This indicates the flame is not as hot as it should be and carbon monoxide may be filling the room. This odorless gas is poisonous and could cause confusion, nausea and possibly death.
Have Safety Products Nearby
Every home should have a fire extinguisher and carbon monoxide detectors. A class B fire extinguisher is best for kitchen-related fires. This safety tool can put out small fires before they consume your home.
Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and totally undetectable by human senses. A CO detector will alert you to its presence. Most natural gas companies are now adding a chemical to their gas that gives off an odor, like rotten eggs. If you smell this odor in your home, leave immediately and call your natural gas provider.
Turn Appliances Off
Always double-check to ensure gas appliances are turned off when they aren’t being used. If you leave a gas stove on, for example, it will continue to release natural gas, even if it isn’t lit. Don’t let gas fill your home and pose a danger.
Installation, servicing, maintenance and repair should be left to a professional. Don’t try to do it yourself. Have your gas appliances inspected at least once a year. Many homeowners skip this step, but it is key to keeping you safe.
Proper Ventilation is Key
Make sure your gas appliance has a range hood. These have a fan inside and are designed to remove gases, odors, heat and steam. Range hoods also keep carbon monoxide in check. Consider opening doors or windows to let fresh air in.
Vacuum and clean lint that builds around your gas appliances. Dust, dirt and lint can easily catch fire when exposed to a gas flame. Be sure to keep up with this task.
In Case of Emergency
If you notice a gas leak, turn off all of your gas appliances. Put away all flammable materials, including cooking oils and plastic. Call for help and go outside.
Spruce Up Your Home Exterior
If you are ready to deep clean the exterior of your home or deck, the professionals at Peak Power Wash can help. We use a technique called “soft wash”, which uses a much lower amount of pressure and reduces potential harm to surfaces. Contact us at 443-686-WASH or visit our website to request a free estimate.